City & Guilds Catering Level 1
The qualification is suitable for candidates who wish to develop and improve their ability to prepare and cook food for themselves whilst also learning about the catering industry. Candidates undertaking this qualification may not necessarily be seeking employment within the hospitality industry but will be looking to develop everyday cooking skills. It is suitable for candidates from all backgrounds and is appropriate for adults as well as young people. This qualification is only available to people aged 16-18. Practical sessions take place in Ashley High School Cyber Cafe and students provide the catering facility for other students and staff. NVQ students are expected to gain additional workplace experience through placements.
- Preparing, cooking and presenting meals and snacks
- Demonstrate the use of kitchen equipment
- Demonstrate an awareness of balanced diets
- Food storage
- Preparation and cooking food
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
Students are required to produce internally set assignments. Each unit has specified learning outcomes and assessment criteria. To pass an Internally assessed unit, learners must meet all the assessment criteria.
If you have any queries concerning this subject and the qualifications, please contact Mr Gorst.